In case you learn my final EpiPen experiment publish, you then noticed my discovery that EpiPens heated on the dashboard of a automobile will hearth lower than half the time. Temperatures within the 180s and 190s Fahrenheit are clearly sufficient to wreck an EpiPen. However will the warmth contained in the glove field additionally injury an EpiPen?
It’s spectacular that excessive warmth compromises EpiPen machine integrity. It’s additionally essential to know. However more often than not when individuals go away their epinephrine within the automobile, they don’t go away it on the dashboard, in full solar, and going through south. It’s both accidentally, or as a result of they retailer it there.
When somebody shops an EpiPen within the warmth of a automobile, they’ll sometimes go away it within the glove field or one other compartment. When individuals go away their EpiPens in a sizzling automobile accidentally, they normally have it in a handbag or bag of some type. In these conditions, the EpiPens would nonetheless get extremely popular, however wouldn’t attain the 195 levels I achieved on the dashboard. So I additionally did an experiment to see if EpiPens would jam when left within the automobile beneath extra regular consumer circumstances.
Experiment 2: Glove Field Warmth impact on an EpiPen
Similtaneously my dashboard warmth experiment, I had 20 extra EpiPens in my automobile. These have been in my glove field. The very best temperature I recorded in my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
I adopted the identical protocols with these EpiPens. I had 10 matched pairs to manage for consumer injury previous to them reaching me. One from every pair, I fired whereas nonetheless sizzling from the automobile. The opposite, I fired after permitting it to return to room temperature.
The outcomes of this experiment weren’t fairly as spectacular. Each EpiPen uncovered to warmth in my glove field fired usually. I don’t know the place the break level of an EpiPen is, however I’ve narrowed it all the way down to someplace between 137 and 195 levels Fahrenheit.
To be trustworthy, I type of want a number of the glove field EpiPens had jammed. For one, it wasn’t a really thrilling video, nor did it show the hazard of leaving epinephrine within the warmth. However for 2, I fear that it might trigger a false sense of safety for some individuals.
There are nonetheless individuals who go away EpiPens of their automobile on function. Often, that is on the premise that they’re usually close to their automobile, in order that they suppose retaining it within the automobile is a method to at all times have it out there.
Sadly, it is a very dangerous observe, and never simply because the EpiPen itself can jam beneath the fitting circumstances. Quite a few research have demonstrated that the drug epinephrine shortly loses its efficacy when uncovered to warmth. And this occurs at temperatures which can be a lot decrease than recorded on my dashboard. One current examine confirmed that leaving an EpiPen within the automobile as soon as can scale back the efficient dose of the drug inside, by as a lot as 13-14%!
Simply as you don’t need your EpiPen to misfire if you want it, you additionally wish to be sure you get a full dose of treatment when you go into anaphylaxis. Subsequently, it is rather essential to just be sure you defend your EpiPens from warmth. Chilly just isn’t as damaging, however warmth very clearly damages EpiPens, and in additional methods than one. Preserve these Epis cool, people!
You may watch the video of me firing these EpiPens on YouTube right here.
For these of you who like numbers and specifics, listed here are the small print of my experiment.
- My automobile is darkish blue. I parked it going through south in full solar.
- Exterior highs have been within the 80s most days.
- 20 Pens have been on the sprint, immediately in full daylight (the cookie sheet was so they’d all match on my sloped sprint.)
- 20 Pens have been within the glove field, which didn’t get fairly as sizzling, however higher displays the conduct of oldsters who retailer Epis within the automobile.
- I cooked the Pens in my automobile each day for
two weeksEnded up being 6 weeks.
- My automobile retreated to the storage in a single day.
- For half of the time, I recorded dashboard temperature each ten minutes.
- For the opposite half of the time, I recorded glove field temperature each ten minutes.
- Jen from Blue Bear Conscious supplied us with the instruments to precisely report the temperatures. Thanks Jen!
- I used this machine to measure temperatures. It’s small and programmable, nice for monitoring treatment temp, although a bit techy.
- I paired off the 2-packs that initially got here collectively and clearly labeled them (A-a, B-b, and so forth.)
- A by means of J have been on the sprint, Q by means of Z have been within the glove field.
- On the conclusion, I allowed the capital-letter-labeled Pens to return to room temperature earlier than firing them, and fired the lower-case-labeled Pens whereas nonetheless sizzling.
- Expirations ranged from November 2013 to December 2017.
- Expirations have been evenly distributed between the sprint and glove field.
- I didn’t use any Pens that expired between April 2017 and October 2017. That was the time vary of Mylan’s recall (my final experiment concerned Pens that expired August 2017, which was in between recalled tons.) I needed to ensure this experiment was not impacted by Pens that ought to have been recalled however weren’t!
twosix weeks, we behaved like a one-car household so my automobile may completely prepare dinner EpiPens.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my dashboard was 195.four levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures on the dashboard frequently reached the 180s.
- The utmost temperature I recorded from my glove field was 137.7 levels Fahrenheit.
- Temperatures within the glove field frequently reached the 120s.
In case you discover this kind of content material useful (it’s sophisticated and time-consuming) please take into account supporting us on Patreon. Our Patrons actually do assist us hold this kind of factor going!