After I go to the grocery retailer I admit I’m normally in a rush to seize what I want then get out. Eric makes enjoyable of me for it, saying I have to decelerate generally, as a result of I’m lacking out on issues. Surprisingly although I hardly overlook one thing. If I do although, I can get it at my work (I work within the deli of a well being meals retailer), or on the Aldi up the road. On my time without work final week although, I used to be taking it a bit slower at Aldi since I did not have anything occurring, and I observed that they’d toasted hazelnuts. I like getting pre-toasted nuts for recipes, as a result of it saves me numerous time within the kitchen. Particularly after I go to seize the nuts for my nut butter and discover out I have never toasted them but. Anyhow, toasted hazelnuts sounded good, so I grabbed a bag figuring I might make one thing scrumptious with them. So taking time to go searching paid off that point.
In a while that day, I made a decision to make some hazelnut caramel bars. I needed them to have the identical kind of filling as a pecan pie however with toasted hazelnuts as a substitute. It was an odd fall day, 80F levels with a dew level of 70 so my Mother mentioned I used to be loopy to be baking after I advised her what I used to be going to do, however you already know what? Generally it’s value heating up the oven on a sizzling day for a scrumptious deal with.
I gave the bars a shortbread like crust to start with, I needed it to be buttery, wealthy and soften in your mouth. I used a combination of complete wheat pastry flour and tapioca flour to make it a bit extra tender. For the filling, a combination of dates and hazelnut butter made for a luscious caramel. I figured why not make these as hazelnut flavored as attainable! However if you cannot get hazelnut butter and do not wish to make your personal you may use cashew butter as a substitute or almond butter. I combined it loads of hazelnuts and it was superb. I might have sat there and ate it with a spoon however then I would not have sufficient for the bars.
They baked up fantastically and I couldn’t wait to strive them! Sadly because it was night I needed to look ahead to them to chill in a single day. At the least it gave me one thing to look ahead to after work! They have been sooo good! Wealthy, and caramelly with a touch of maple and the nuttiness of the hazelnuts plus loads of crunch, and that buttery crust! Completely heavenly! In case you are a fan of hazelnuts, undoubtedly give these a strive!
Vegan Hazelnut Caramel Bars
- 1 1/2 cups natural complete wheat pastry flour*
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (or cornstarch would work as effectively)
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1/four tsp sea salt
- 1/four cup melted coconut oil
- 1/four cup plus 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or different impartial oil liquid at cool temperatures)
- 1 cup tender pitted medjool dates (if they aren’t tender, soak them in filtered water for 30 minutes and drain effectively
- earlier than utilizing)
- 1/four cup hazelnut butter (or uncooked cashew butter or almond butter)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup, plus extra for brushing the highest of the pie
- 1/eight tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/three cup filtered water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups toasted hazelnuts, plus extra for high of bars
- maple syrup for brushing bars
- Preheat oven to 375F levels.
- To make the crust, in a big bowl, combine collectively flour, tapioca flour, sugar, and sea salt. Combine in oil and stir (or use your palms and knead) till a easy dough is created. Press into the underside of an 8×8 inch sq. pan.
- Place within the oven and bake for 15 minutes or till simply beginning to brown. Take away from the oven.
- To make filling, mix all elements in a excessive pace blender or meals processor besides the hazelnuts. Course of till easy, then scrape right into a bowl and stir within the hazelnuts. Unfold the filling over the crust, and high with extra hazelnuts. Brush the highest flippantly with maple syrup. Place within the oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes till it’s beginning to brown flippantly.
- Take away from oven and let cool fully earlier than serving.